What makes a founder truly great? I am no expert, just a founder spending a lot of times with other founders.
Here is, what I have come to believe are the attributes of the very best - say top 5% - founders and builders (product managers, engineers, designers, etc.) I've had the privilege to observe in action.
7 attributes stand out to me:
- Self-actualizing: Be willing to fail more, try new things, take more risks, take on new skills and be willing to suck for a prolonged of time. Self-awareness put in motion.
- Resilient: Come out of dark holes sooner and faster. Be able to let go of what’s hindering mentally and focus on bouncing back.
- Consistent. Hone their craft every day. Grind, day in day out. Relentless.
- Competitive. Inner fire to win, 24/7.
- Thinks independently. Question everything, even the obvious stuff. Not subject to seeking social validation.
- Truth-seeking. Pokes at own ideas.
- Curious and fast-learning. Plenty of hacks to extract good intel quickly. Good sense for the right questions to ask.
- Generous. Willing to teach and to show a vulnerable side. Take ownership for the team, especially in hard times.