You’re a freelance copywriter, and you’ve been asked to write some web copy for a new website. But where do you start? How do you make your writing more engaging and persuasive?
In this post, we’ll walk you through the basics of writing great web copy. We’ll show you how to capture your reader’s attention and keep them engaged until they reach the end. So read on – your next client may be counting on you!
Great web copy is writing that is clear, concise, and compelling. It should be easy for readers to scan and understand. Great web copy is also keyword-rich, so that it can be easily found by search engines.
Some examples of great web copy include:
Why does great web copy matter? Because in today’s competitive online marketplace, your website’s content is one of the most important factors in determining whether or not you will succeed. With so many websites vying for attention, it’s more important than ever to have content that is both informative and engaging.
There are many benefits to having great web copy, including:
If you want your website to be successful, great web copy is essential. With the right words, you can attract more visitors, generate more leads, and build a strong reputation for your business.
Whether you’re writing for your website, or creating content for social media, it’s important to remember that web copy is different from other types of writing. In order to be successful, your writing must be clear, concise, and interesting. Here are a few tips to help you write great web copy:
Web users have short attention spans, so it’s important to make your writing easy to read. Breaking up your text with short paragraphs and sentences will make it more likely that people will stick with it until the end.
A long sentence that is difficult to read might look something like this: “Jogging is an excellent way to improve your cardiovascular health, but it is important to stretch before you go for a run to avoid pulled muscles.”
The same sentence broken down into multiple sentences might look like this: “Jogging is an excellent way to improve your cardiovascular health. However, it is important to stretch before you go for a run. Otherwise, you may end up with pulled muscles.”
When a sentence is broken down into multiple shorter sentences, it becomes easier to read and understand.
A good headline will grab attention and make people want to read more. Be creative – try to come up with something that’s both accurate and attention-grabbing:
Verbs are an important part of writing, and can really help to add impact to your writing. Choose verbs that are strong and active, and avoid passive constructions whenever possible.
Active voice is when the subject of a sentence is performing the action. For example, “I am writing a paper.” Passive voice is when the subject of a sentence is being acted upon. For example, “A paper is being written by me.”
Strong and active verbs usually make writing more interesting, detailed, and powerful. Below are five examples of sentences containing strong and active verbs:
1. I wrote a paper on the importance of using active voice in writing.
2. You should always strive to use strong and active verbs in your writing.
3. He shelled out $20 for a new pen because his old one just didn’t cut it anymore.
4. The cashier counted out my change and then handed it to me.
5. I could tell that the flowers had been watered because they were so vibrant.
No one wants to read boring copy. If you can find a way to make your writing engaging and interesting, you’ll be more likely to hold people’s attention.
When you’re writing a blog post, using humor can be a great way to make your post more interesting. Humor can help break up the text and add some levity to the topic you’re discussing.
Adding different fonts or colors to your blog post can also help to add visual interest. Fonts can help highlight important information or add personality to your writing. Using different colors can also help draw the reader’s eye to specific parts of your text. Adding visual interest to your blog post can help make it more engaging and enjoyable to read.
As a professional copywriter, there are certain tips and tricks you can use to make sure your web copy is great. Here are 10 of those tips:
1. Keep it concise – Make sure your content is clear and concise. Web users have short attention spans, so get to the point quickly and don’t use unnecessarily long words or sentences.
2. Use headlines – Headlines are important for catching attention and making your content easy to scan. Write headlines that clearly state what your article is about and use keyword-rich phrases to help with SEO.
3. Use bullet points – Breaking up your content into smaller chunks makes it more digestible and easier to read. Bullet points are a great way to do this.
4. Use images – People are visual creatures and tend to respond well to images. Add images throughout your content to break up the text and add visual interest.
5. Use calls to action – Calls to action tell your readers what you want them to do next. Whether it’s subscribing to your newsletter or downloading a free guide, make sure your call to action is clear and concise.
6. Write for your audience – It’s important to know who your target audience is and write accordingly. Use language that they will understand and be interested in.
7. Be engaging – Write in an engaging and personable tone. Nobody wants to read a dry, boring article. Use humor, storytelling, and interesting analogies to keep your readers engaged.
8. Use strong verbs – Strong verbs add punch and make your writing more interesting. Ditch the “to be” verbs and use action-oriented language instead.
9. Edit, edit, edit – Don’t publish your content until it’s been edited multiple times. Spelling and grammar errors will turn off your readers quickly.
10. Hire a professional – If you’re not confident in your ability to write great web copy, hire a professional copywriter. It’s worth the investment to ensure that your website is putting its best foot forward.
Use these tips to write great web copy that will engage and convert your readers. And if you’re ever feeling stuck, remember that hiring a professional copywriter can save you a lot of time and frustration.