This article provides an overview of how to deposit ETH (Ethereum) into your MetaMask using the standard ERC20 network.
Note: ETH can also be traded on different networks, but that this will be covered in future updates.
Note: While Option A (purchasing ETH from within MetaMask) allows you to stay within the application… we recommend Option B (setting up an exchange account) to be able to easily purchase, trade and transfer ETH and other cryptos from an established exchange. Details on Option C (using decentralized exchanges). will be covered in the future as these require already having purchased cryptocurrency.
Select the buy or add funds button in you MetaMask to buy ETH and have it deposited into your wallet from one of the provided options.
- You will be charged a “gas fee” to transfer the ETH into your wallet. Gas fees apply to all transaction processed on the Ethereum network, learn more about them here.
- Most service providers that you can buy ETH from will require a form of identity verification to comply with government regulations.
You can transfer ETH that you buy from a supported exchange into your MetaMask. We recommend using Coinbase.com as one of the easier to use options for US residents, and Binance.com for non-US residents.
You can use the the country based search engine to view exchange options and learn more from Ethereum.org here.
- You cannot transfer ETH to your MetaMask (or other decentralized wallet) from all exchanges. For example Venmo, CashApp, and Robinhood all do not currently allow you to transfer ETH from your account to another wallet.
- Most exchanges will require a form of identity verification to comply with government regulations. While some offer automatic identity verification, this process can take sometime.
- Some exchanges do not allow for newly added funds to be withdrawn right away, make sure to set up your account in advance of you needing the funds.
After you have purchased ETH within your exchange account, you will need to transfer it to you wallet.
To transfer ETH from you exchange to your wallet, follow these general steps:
Using Coinbase.com as an example
To view your MetaMask public wallet address for step 3, copy the address below your account name, or select it from the menu options
Note: You can consult your exchange specific help section for more details. Click here for Coinbase.com’s help page.